Camera Workers, 1858-1950

The British Columbia, Alaska and Yukon Photographic Directory, 1858-1950

Camera Club (Vancouver, 1897)



Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Camera Club (Vancouver, 1897)  
    Gender Unknown 
    Business Address/Year 1897-1899  Vancouver, BC Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Address:
    418 Hastings St.
    Vancouver, BC
    Canada 
    • May have continued after 1899.
    Association Abbott, Harry (Relationship: Member) 
    Association Beecher, Charles McCulloch (Relationship: Member) 
    Association Edwards, Arthur N. (Relationship: Member) 
    Association Ferguson, A.G. (Relationship: Member) 
    Association Gintzburger, Maurice (Relationship: Member) 
    Association Godfrey, W. (Relationship: Member) 
    Association Williams, John Tomatoa Chawner (Relationship: Member; President) 
    Association Salsbury, Frederick Thurston (Relationship: Member; Secretary) 
    Person ID I30  Camera Workers | C, vol. 1, 1858-1900
    Last Modified 12 Feb 2017 

  • Notes 
    • STATUS: Club.
    • BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: Organized in Jan 1897, the Vancouver Camera Club had a predecessor or possibly rival in another body also known as the Camera Club which was inaugurated in Mar 1895 and was reported to have had 40 members including several women. Rev. W.W. Baer was one of the promoters of this earlier organization other members were M. Gintzburger, E.E. Cracknell, E.B. Deane and Mr. Cooper-Coles. The formation of the second Camera Club was noted as being "the first in the Province"; its initial meeting was at the Edwards Brothers studio. The latter firm acted as a liaison between the club and the public. By 22 Jan 1897 a studio and dark room had been set up above F.J. Painton's music store. F.T. Salsbury was secretary during the first year of the 1897 club's existence and J.T.C. Williams was president from 1897 through 1899. Other officers were Harry Abbott (honorary president), C.M. Beecher (first vice-president), W. Godrey, second vice-president, A.G. Ferguson (third vice-president), and C.A. Wood (honorary treasurer). The club was reported to have 50 members in April 1897.
    • REFERENCES: HEN97; HEN98; HEN99; News-Advertiser, 1897 01 07/8, 1897 01 08/8, 1897 01 22/8, 1897 02 18/1, 1897 03 17/5; Western Recreation (1897 04):38 (officers' names).