Camera Workers, 1858-1950

The British Columbia, Alaska and Yukon Photographic Directory, 1858-1950

Notes


Tree:  

Matches 251 to 300 of 7,070

      «Prev «1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 142» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
251 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A real estate agent from Australia, he was a member of the Vancouver Camera Club established in Mar 1895. Deane, Evans Brown (I518)
 
252 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A reverend and travelling companion of Reverend William Spotswood Green (the two were cousins), they have been credited with undertaking the first mountaineering expedition in Canada in 1888. According to a paper read by Green in 1889, their photographic kit consisted of three cameras: two half-plate models and a Stirn's patent detective camera. In conjunction with their topographical observations they photographed views. Swanzy, Rev. Henry (I825)
 
253 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A Scottish photographer, he was commissioned by the Alaska Central Railway to document construction of the line. McPherson, William Alexander (I1272)
 
254 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A senior factor with the Hudson's Bay Company, he moved to the Queen Charlottes and took up cattle ranching. He was one of the first white settlers and photographed the Masset church. Alexander, J.M.L. (I327)
 
255 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A short-lived partnership of J.W. Wheeler and R.H. Fort, they may have taken over the space in the Moody Block (1304 Broad St.) formerly used as a branch studio by the Photorium. The partnership was a member of the Victoria Professional Photographers Association. Wheeler and Fort (I1914)
 
256 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A single example of this firm's work is preserved by the City of Vancouver Archives: a decorated car. Based on the partially legible banner above the car and its location at the Vancouver Regiment building, the photo was more than likely taken during the World War One period. A sign on the building adjoining the Vancouver Regiment one advertises for Hall and Wallace, an automobile and carriage works company at 573 Beatty St. according to the 1918 Henderson's Vancouver business directory. The are no listings for a photography business of this name in the alphabetic section of the business directories between 1914 and 1925. Mecca Photo (I2085)
 
257 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A single newspaper ad was the only evidence of this firm's existence. Blacklin and Bristow (I397)
 
258 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A small mounted albumen print has written in pencil on the mount "1st picture taken by R.T.W. in old Theatre Building Government [St.] at Victoria." The image is of two men seated at a round table looking through viewers at stereographs being handed them by a third man also seated.

R.T. Williams came to BC with his family in 1859. It is possible he was apprenticed briefly to one of the operators of the Victoria Theatre Photographic Gallery, but in reminiscing about the theatre in 1933 he did not mention the photo gallery.

Educated at St. Louis College (opened 1864), Victoria, he worked for T.N. Hibben & Company, booksellers, in the late 1860s-early 1870s, and later ran his own bookbinding and publishing business. His provincial business directories are an important source of historical information. 
Williams, Robert Taylor (I799)
 
259 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A son of A.T. and M.M. Bridgman, he worked for both his father and mother as a photographer, then operated as a photographer in Vancouver in the 1940s. He immigrated to the U.S. in Dec 1946 and resided in Riverside, CA, where he passed away. Bridgman, Herbert Stirling (I2187)
 
260 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A son of B.T. Vinson and brother of V.V. Vinson, he managed the Progress Studio between 1913 and 1915. He left Vancouver and moved to Oregon where he taught at the University of Oregon and in Portland where he operated an X-ray lab. Vinson, Willis Weldon (I907)
 
261 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A son of famed Montreal photographer William Notman (1826-1891), he visited BC several times before and after the turn of the century. He was accompanied and assisted by one or both of his brothers, Charles F. and George R.W. A full account of his career and that of his brothers can be found in Stanley Triggs' fine study, William Notman: The Stamp of a Studio (1985). The McCord Museum also hosts a virtual exhibit, The Photographic Studio of William Notman, with much useful information. In 2016-2017, a major retrospective exhibit of the Notman studio's work, "Notman, A Visionary Photographer", was staged by the McCord Museum. Notman, William McFarlane (I103)
 
262 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A son of Joseph Sommer, he was first listed as an employee of Joseph Sommer in the 1903 business directory. By 1933 he was managing director of the 50-year old art dealership, Joseph Sommer and Sons, Ltd., which also at various times handled photo supplies and offered darkroom services. Sommer, Albert Joseph (I2036)
 
263 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A son of M.E. Charleston, he worked at his father's photographic business, Charleston and Company, with his siblings. Charleston, Jack Lee (I2221)
 
264 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A son of Richard and Hannah Maynard, he was, like his father, a shoemaker, and took over both his father's photographic and shoe store. He also operated as a photo supply company under various names, including his own and in partnership as the Maynard and Stewart Photo Supply Company. He was last associated with the business in the 1931 business directory. In a 1932 tribute article about his career, the Colonist newspaper also announced that he had transferred ownership of his photo supply business to his daughter L.E. Maynard. He disposed of all of his parents negatives and the studio register at various dates to the BC Archives. Maynard Albert Hatherly (I117)
 
265 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A son of the pioneer California and Oregon, photographer Denny H. Hendee (1826-1907), he and his brother Otho S. Hendee operated their father?s photographic business in Portland until about 1893 when their partnership dissolved. E.L. Hendee was likely named after his father's brother Edwin B. Hendee (b. ca. 1824). E.L. Hendee arrived in Trail from Portland in May 1896 and opened his studio in a tent. The tent and equipment were destroyed by fire on 29 May 1896, but he was back in business by 5 June. By the following Mar he was calling his business the Hendee Photographic Company. He had a brief partnership with a man named Haynes in 1897. He appears to have left Trail in mid-1897. Hendee took both portraits and landscape views. Hendee returned to Oregon where he eventually ended up in partnership with Otho and another brother as florists. Hendee, Edwin L. (I853)
 
266 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A son of the Prince Rupert photographer F.W.P. Chandler, he was listed as a photographer in the 1945 business directory and a logger the following year. His death registration record indicates she had worked as a fisherman. Chandler, Wilfred Louis Perry (I2259)
 
267 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A son of the Rev. William H. Gibson, he gave his occupation as clerk when he was married in 1921. On his death registration record his occupation was given as ticket agent for the Canadian National Railway. He worked in 1912 as a photographer for his brother Wilfred Gibson. Gibson, Garnet (I578)
 
268 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A son of W.J. Campbell, he managed the Campbell Studio in Vancouver beginning in 1946. Campbell, John S. (I2213)
 
269 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A son of William Ferriman Salsbury (1847-1938), a prominent Vancouver figure, Frederick arrived in Vancouver in 1886 with his family from Lachine, Quebec. He was working as a clerk at the Bank of British North America in 1897 and later moved to Dawson City, Yukon Territory, where he worked for the same bank. He retired as manager of a branch in North Vancouver. He was secretary of the Vancouver Camera Club in 1897. Salsbury, Frederick Thurston (I807)
 
270 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A staff sergeant with the Sixth Regiment, he photographed plans of the proposed Canadian Pacific Railway station in Oct 1897, the departure of Minister of the Interior Clifford Sifton and law enforcement members for the Yukon Territory in the fall of 1897, and the Vancouver troops just prior to their departure for South Africa on 23 Oct 1899. This last photograph was published in the Dec 1899 issue of Canadian Magazine (v. 16, no. 2). The birth of his son was announced in Apr 1896. The 1897 directory showed him as a clerk at City Hall. Henderson, Harold Morton (I196)
 
271 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A stationer, arts goods and photo supplies dealer, he employed photographers on his staff. He later formed a partnership with H.D. Christie as Bishop and Christie. The first president of the British Columbia Mountaineering Club, he died in a mountaineering accident in Jul 1913 while climbing Mount Baker, WA. Bishop, Joseph Charles (I1823)
 
272 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A Steele and Company photographer visited Trail in 1896 and 1898. Frederick Steele, then based in Winnipeg, operated out of a tent studio in Nelson in Jul 1896. The Fernie branch studio was owned by Frederick Steele of Calgary who had been employed by Hall and Lowe in Winnipeg between Jun 1886 and Mar 1887. It is not known who kept the Fernie branch open. Steele and Company (I822)
 
273 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A stereograph view bearing a title "Fraser River, British Columbia" of an unidentified town or city (not believed to be New Westminster or Vancouver) was photographed by this Salem, Oregon, photographer in the late 1870s or 1880s. The stereograph mount on the left front also has a series title of "Views of Oregon, Washington Territory and British Columbia". Hanson, Jacob (I186)
 
274 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A surveyor by profession, he photographed the arrival of the first Canadian Pacific Railway train at Port Moody on 4 Jul 1886. He was mentioned as an amateur photographer in the Colonist in Feb 1886. He was later active in the Island Arts and Crafts Society. Gore, Thomas Sinclair (I225)
 
275 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A surveyor with the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey, he visited the Chilkat River in southeastern Alaska during the summer 1894. According to Sinclair and Engeman's article, he took more than 40 glass plate negatives of Tlingit Indians and scenery along the river. The next year he presented his work through lantern slides to National Geographic Society members. Pratt, John Francis (I90)
 
276 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A Thomas Hammond, relationship unknown, also worked in the Kootenay region at the turn of the 19th century. The Thomas Hammond of Victoria was likely also the partner in Hammond and Wilson. A Thomas Hammond of Victoria who appears in the late 1900s may also not be the photographer even though his occupation, a clerk for a real estate firm, is within the realm of pre- and post-photographers. Hammond, Thomas (I1383)
 
277 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A U.S. Army 1st Lieutenant charged with exploring Alaska and the Yukon, he descended the Yukon River. He published newspaper and magazine accounts of his trip following his return and also a book in 1885, Along Alaska's Great River. Photographs accompanying Schwatka's publications on the 1883 expedition were taken, according to Sherwood, by Charles A. Homan. Schwatka described these photographs in a 1900 book on their journey.

Two later expeditions to Alaska included a sublimely absurd attempt to scale Mt. St. Elias in 1886 and a trip to Fort Selkirk from Juneau via the Taku River and Teslin Lake in 1891.

Schwatka Lake, Yukon, is named in his honour. The camera Schwatka took on his 1886 Mt. St. Elias climb was donated in 1955 to a museum of the University of Alaska (Fairbanks?). 
Schwatka, Frederick (I50)
 
278 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A Vancouver newspaper reported on the New Westminster exhibition that "Campbell's photographic collection adjoining the paintings attracts a great deal of attention." Campbell (I482)
 
279 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A Vancouver photographer. Cave, E.J. (I298)
 
280 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A veteran of the Crimean War, he operated a photo studio in London before emigrating with the Royal Engineers in 1858 as a carpenter. It is not known if he practiced photography while in BC. Bruce, Henry (I469)
 
281 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A Victoria newspaper ad in August 1878 identified a "new photograph gallery, Government street, near James Bay Bridge." The portrait studio was offering "36 Gem Pictures for 50 cents", along with "all sizes of pictures ... [and] children taken in one second." [Unidentified Victoria portrait studio] (I363)
 
282 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A World War Two Royal Canadian Navy veteran, he started Loranne Studios in Sep 1946 with another veteran, Ken Nelson. Stockill, Francis Richard (I1512)
 
283 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A World War Two veteran, he started Loranne Studios in Sep 1946 with another veteran, Frank Stockill. Nelson, Ken (I1511)
 
284 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A younger contemporary of Dr. G.M. Dawson, McConnell studied at McGill University in Montreal. McConnell's exploration of the Yukon for the Geological Survey of Canada beginning in 1887 over a ten-year period produced the first accurate geological maps of the Klondike gold fields. An amateur photographer, it is not known if he produced photographs of his Yukon travels.

Appointed Deputy Minister of Mines in 1914, he retired in 1920. McConnell River, McConnell Peak and McConnell Lake, YT, are all named in honor of his accomplishments. 
McConnell, Richard George (I106)
 
285 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A zoologist and explorer who made his first expedition in 1896 up the Stikine River out of [Fort] Wrangel, Alaska, he took his own photographs, as shown by some of his publications and confirmed by a grandson. Stone's first Stikine journey, the "Recreations Party" , was sponsored by Recreation Magazine, and he discovered the Stone Sheep (also known as White Sheep or Dall Sheep) on this trip. Later expeditions were sponsored by the American Museum of Natural History and the New York Zoological Society. The Bancroft Library at the University of California, Berkeley, preserves a collection of Stone's personal papers dating between 1896-1919, including diaries he kept between 1896 and 1903.

Stone may also have employed A.E. Stanfield as a photographer on a second or third expedition, but not the first. Stone might also have died in a canoeing or boating accident near Cape Nome, Alaska. A Northwest Mounted Police record shows an A.J. Stone entering the Yukon at Chilkoot Summit from Everett, WA, on 4 Aug 1898 via boat no. 14477. 
Stone, Andrew Jackson (I65)
 
286 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: A.E. Shaw was managing director from 1910 to 1912 and Walter A. Shaw his photographer partner. The Shaw Brothers had briefly had wholesale and retail stores in Vancouver and Victoria. Occupying the last business address of Thompson's Studio and Supply House in Vancouver, the firm acquired S.J. Thompson's glass negatives following his retirement to real estate. Between 1915 and 1925, Ernest A. Williams was co-proprietor with W.A. Shaw. Ernest Weeks was a department manager in 1912.
Among the works the firm published was a souvenir view book, Vancouver, Western Canada's Hub of Commerce (Vancouver: Shaw Bros. Ltd., 1912). 
Shaw Brothers (I1784)
 
287 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According Gilean Douglas' introduction to Gold's 1985 pictorial history of logging on Vancouver Island, Gold and his wife moved to Victoria from Banff, Alberta, in 1933. From 1934 onwards the family tavelled up and down Vancouver Island taking photographs. They eventually settled in Youbou.

After learning how to make movies in California, Gold produced his first film, "Logging on Vancouver Island".  
Gold, Wilmer Hazelwood (I1094)
 
288 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to Eleven Early British Columbian Photographers 1890-1940, he emigrated to Vancouver in 1886 and began taking photographs in the Cariboo in 1887; his negatives were destroyed there by fire.

Some time between 1891 and 1894 he moved to Quatsino Sound where he ran a store with his father (J.L. Leeson & Son) and engaged in a number of pursuits. He was especially noted for his portraits of brooding First Nations figures and was fascinated by the flat-headed Kwakiutl women of the area. He retired in 1939 and moved to Vancouver. 
Leeson, Ben Williams (I143)
 
289 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to a 1920 newspaper article (Colville Examiner, 3 Jul 1920), she had learned the photo trade from Edward S. Curtis. After working in Vancouver, BC, in her own firm, the American Studio Company, she and her younger brother F.M. Baker, who had also operated the studio with her, moved to Colville, WA, where they operated another studio. By 1930 she was living in California. Baker, Miss Cora Rosalie (I1894)
 
290 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to a 20 May 1911 passenger list for the Teutonic, he had worked as a farmer in England and was bound for Toronto, ON. Following his immigration and later residence in Alberta, he enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in Sep 1914 in Quebec and gave his occupation as a photographer. He served in a field ambulance corps; his personnel file notes that he was mentioned in a 1917 message by General Sir Douglas Haig. He was discharged in 1919 to Calgary, AB.

By May 1920 he was operating in Macleod, AB, as the Whitefoot Photo Service, having purchased the business of John Vanderpant (Macleod Times, 25 Jan 1923, p. 7) who moved to New Westminster, BC.

According to a 1923 Canadian immigration form, he first arrived from England at Montreal, QC, in May 1911. He had previously lived in Macleod, AB, and was destined for Calgary, AB. He had left Macleod in November 1922 on a vacation in England. Another photographer and former employee, H.V. Clarke, acquired his Whitefoot Photo Service business and renamed it the Macleod Photo Service (ad, Macleond Times, 9 Nov 1922, p. 5)

The Peel's Prairie Provinces Web site contains many examples of Macleod Times ads for his studio beginning in 1920. The Macleod Times reported that he held a "big position with a photography firm in Vancouver" (22 Jan 1925, p. 4); this was likely the Hacking Photo Studio. He was listed in the business directory as a photographer with A.T. Bridgman from 1926 to 1929. He was listed as the proprietor of the Whitefoot Studio from 1930 to 1951 and then operated as a solo photographer.

From the Biographical History for the Thomas Whitefoot fonds at BVIPA:

Thomas W. Whitefoot (1891-1986) was an English-born portrait photographer (and sometime cinematographer) who first came to Canada in 1911, residing in Vancouver from 1923-1924 until his death. He studied photography in Calgary (1913-1914) and at the London Polytechnic School of Photography (1918). In Vancouver, he worked as a photographer's assistant at the Bridgman Studio (1924-1929) before establishing his own business, The Whitefoot Studio, which he operated until 1950. Whitefoot retired in 1969. Beyond his work as a professional photographer, he was an avid amateur cinematographer who filmed travelogues, sporting events, and important public occasions in Vancouver. He also produced promotional films for the Vancouver Parks Board, Home Oil Distributors Ltd., and British Pacific Properties.
 
Whitefoot, Thomas Wedgewood (I848)
 
291 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to a 5 Jun 1925 USA border crossing card, he resided in Fort William (Thunder Bay), ON, and had crossed into Duluth, MN, for the purpose of attending the Illinois School of Photography for six months. He was 19 years and two months old. He operated Paramount Studios between 1932 and 1935, with the operation being transferred to his wife, Mrs. Sophie Sinser, according to the 1936 business directory. In the 1936 directory he was listed as an insurance agent with Metropolitan Life Insurance. Sinser, Julius Robert (I1409)
 
292 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to a border crossing record for Kingsgate, BC, he entered the province on 20 Feb 1927 from California. He was likely returning to Calgary, AB. Previously, he had resided in Calgary from Jun 1902 to Apr 1923, information confirmed through an Ancestry.ca family tree. He had a cousin, J.C. Ring, in Calgary and a sister in Los Angeles, CA. His occupation in California was a photographer and that was what he intended to do in Canada. He went back to the USA via Montana in Oct 1928, but by 1930 was back in Calgary operating the Harmony Art Studio.
He was listed in the 1940 through 1947 business directories as a photographer in Hedley, BC.
His death registration record states he last worked as a photographer in Jun 1948. 
Ring, Walter Vernon (I1690)
 
293 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to a Dec 1908 newspaper ad, this firm was a successor to Will Marsden's photo supply house. The 1909 Vancouver directory, however, listed it as a photographers. The business was operated by J.A. Cockburn. Two members of the Marsden family worked there as clerks: Henry and Dorothy. Cockburn's Art Gallery (I1839)
 
294 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to a family tree, which contains some conflicting data, on Ancestry.ca, he immigrated to Victoria in 1890. He managed the Popular Studio in 1912. A relative, George S. Simon, who worked as a clerk for H.L. Salmon, a tobacconist, lived at the same residence in 1912.
J.B. Simon moved to Tacoma, WA, where he spent the rest of his life and also worked there as a photographer. 
Simon, Julius Bertram (I2007)
 
295 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to a newspaper reference he took
some very good photographic views of the principal buildings of Nanaimo.... Among them are the [Vancouver Coal] company's station, the Episcopal church and parsonage of the Wesleyan chapel, Mr. Franklin's residence, the railway station, & c. The views although taken by an amateur, are very well executed, quite equalling the ordinary professional efforts.

A James Tarver was employed as a clerk in Stipendiary Magistrate W. H. Franklyn's (1816-1874) Nanaimo office between May 1865 and some time in 1866. A J. Tarver was secretary to the Nanaimo Fire Brigade in December 1865, and moved away to the United States in July 1867. 
Tarver, James? (I712)
 
296 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to a newspaper review of his journey, this young author of life in North Carolina "carried a large camera and took hundreds of pictures" on his month-long adventure. He recounted his experiences in Sketches from Alaska (1897). Maris, Omer (I115)
 
297 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to a report published in Jun 1896, Savard trained under Mr. A.R. Ray of Quebec City and established the Imperial Photo Studio in Vancouver about Feb 1896. He was primarily or exclusively a portrait photographer. The 4 East Cordova St. studio in the Graveley-Spinks Block was previously occupied by H.D. McKay and J.M. White. Purposefully designed and built by Vancouver architect R. Mackay Fripp for White, one corner of the upper-floor studio by McKay and Savard's day was located above the Oyster Bay Restaurant. During Savard's tenancy he had "A. Savard, Photographer" painted on one wall. Savard was married on 24 Oct 1900 in Holy Rosary Cathedral, Vancouver. After leaving photography Savard went to work at Britannia Mines. Savard, Alphonse Odilon (I49)
 
298 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to a series of articles in the Vancouver Daily News-Advertiser during the association's 1910 conference in Vancouver, this professional association was organized in 1900. The Vancouver conference marked the first time the group met in British Columbia. Members came from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and BC. Due to the death of association's president, F.G. Abell, two weeks before the conference, Vancouver portrait photographer G.T. Wadds assumed the presidency and was succeeded during the conference by the election of his colleague V.V. Vinson as president, who was also the "official representative to the convention from British Columbia" (Daily News-Advertiser, 2 Aug 1910, p. 10). Also elected as vice-president for BC at the conference was F.L. Hacking. The conference was held in the Dominion Hall on Pender St. and the public was able to view photographs there on 5 Aug 1910.

Its 1923 conference was held in Victoria and Wilfred Gibson was lauded for his organizational capabilities. According to a Jan 1923 article, John Vanderpant was vice-president for BC (Macleod Times, 25 Jan 1923, p. 7). 
Photographers' Association of the Pacific Northwest (I779)
 
299 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to a summary of his career in 1896, "Mr. White came here from Toronto seven years ago, having been for years with J. Fraser Bryce of that city." White established his tent studio for tintype portraits in Jun 1889, then moved to a building on Carrall St. He relocated to the new Graveley-Spinks Block in Nov 1891 for which Vancouver architect R. MacKay Fripp had designed the upper floor specifically for White's studio. The premises were latter occupied by photographers H.D. MacKay and Alphonse Savard.

White was primarily a portrait photographer, but did venture outdoors. The 1896 newspaper report also noted that he had recently hired a "young lady artist from the United States, who has been connected with leading studios in that country."

He was married on 14 Aug 1893 to Mattie Faulkner (d. 30 Jul 1939) in Vancouver. She informed Major J.S. Matthews, City Archivist, in Jun 1939 that her husband had been in the New Westminster Asylum for the Insane for 22 years and that she had operated the studio herself for 15 years.

The couple had two girls that survived into adulthood, one of whom, Wilma White, was alive in Chicago, IL, at the time of her father's death at an old age home in Terrace. He was first admitted to the Provincial Hospital for the Insane (Essondale) on 26 Sep 1911 with a diagnosis of paranoid behavior. Except for two escapes, one of which had him in California, he spent nearly 50 years being cared for by the provincial mental health and old age systems. 
White, John M. (I420)
 
300 BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY: According to an 1864 ad (Park) he "was a pupil of the celebrated Monsieur Brunellier of Paris, who was recommended to him by Mr. [John Jabez Edwin] Mayall [1813-1901], the greatest Photographer in England." Mayall was British and had moved back to London from Philadelphia in 1847 to open his American Daguerreotype Institution. Brunellier is no longer celebrated among the annals of photographic history. Vaughan founded the Victoria Theatre Photographic Gallery concurrently with his partnership with C. Fulton. Vaughan formed a partnership with W.F. Robertson the following August. After this partnership was dissolved Vaughan used the named Vaughan's Photographic Gallery. He finally sold the business in January 1865 when it was announced he was about to leave for Honduras. He might have instead ended up in Honolulu, HI; a carte-de-visite portrait in the Bishop Museum bears the imprint "J. W. Vaughan" on the back. Vaughan, John William (I436)
 

      «Prev «1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 142» Next»